Listed below are the required steps in Whitfield's admission process for families considering admission for Fall 2017. You are welcome to call us at (314) 415-1259 to talk about the admission process or you may explore your options online. In either case, we look forward to getting to know your family during the coming admission season.
Your family interview, which will include your student and you, will take approximately 30 to 45 minutes. As a family, you will talk with one of our admission associates. Then, both you and your student will have a chance to talk with the same associate individually.
Families often are curious about the interview. Our goal is to get to know both your student and you. What are your student's interests in and out of class? How does your student spend free time? What are you looking for in a secondary school for your student? With dynamic classrooms that rely heavily on interpersonal relationships, we are looking for students whom we believe will thrive in that environment. We work with students every day and we know that there are a wide array of personalities. We carefully consider our observations in concert with the school records to create a complete picture of your student.
We meet with families Monday through Friday, with appointments both during and after school to accommodate your schedule. We welcome visitors all year, but the majority of appointments for Fall 2017 admission will occur between mid-October and mid-January.
Please call Michelle Templeton at (314) 415-1259 to arrange your family interview.
You do not need to submit your application prior to your family interview.
We ask that your child take the SSAT once and submit the results to Whitfield (#8196).
The SSAT is offered in St. Louis a number of times each year; we encourage you to choose the most convenient test date and site.
Whitfield is hosting the SSAT on Saturday, February 11, 2017.
Candidates for Fall 2017 admission should complete their SSAT testing by January 7, 2017 whenever possible.
Please visit our SSAT and Admission Decisions page for more detailed information about how we review applications, the role testing plays in those decisions.
Please download an application (PDF) or apply online using the Standard Application Online (SAO), an application accepted by many Independent Schools of St Louis (ISSL) member schools. To apply online, please use the ISSL SAO button below, which will take you to the ISSL instruction page for the SAO, or click here.
Please complete your application by January 17, 2017. While the overwhelming majority of our applicants apply by January 17, we welcome applications after this date. To be consistent with Independent Schools of St. Louis common application deadlines, we request that 9th grade applicants submit their application by December 16, 2016.
A complete Whitfield application includes:
- A copy of a completed application, linked above.
- $75 application fee, payable online with the online application or by check.
- Records from your child's current school. For those submitting a paper application, complete the School Record and Transcript Release Forms and give these to the appropriate person at your child's current school. The school will forward records at the conclusion of the first semester or trimester. Those submitting an online application can email the request to the appropriate person at your child's current school through the online application or print and deliver the forms. Those delivering paper copies of the forms should also provide envelopes addressed to Emily Chrysler, Director of Admission, Whitfield School, 175 South Mason Road, St. Louis, MO 63141.
- Teacher recommendation. For those submitting a paper application, please complete the top portion of the Teacher Recommendation Form and give this to one of your child's classroom teachers. The teacher will return the recommendation directly to us. Those applying online can email the request to the teacher or provide a paper copy of the request. Please note that while the SAO includes three recommendation forms (Principal/Head/Counselor, English, and Math), we require only one teacher recommendation as long as it is from an academic subject classroom teacher.
- One personal reference. No form is required for this reference. Rather, we are looking for someone who knows your child well outside of the school environment to talk briefly about your child's strengths. Applicants often request letters from coaches, music teachers, family friends or leaders of religious institutions. There is no required format for this recommendation, and we welcome them by email or by mail. Letters should be addressed to Emily Chrysler, Director of Admission, Whitfield School, 175 South Mason Road, St. Louis, MO 63141.
More than 15 years ago, Whitfield created its Early Decision program as a tool in alleviating some of the pressure families may feel during the secondary school admission process. Early Decision is a terrific option for families who have thoughtfully researched their secondary school options and know that Whitfield is the first choice for their child.
If Whitfield the first choice for your child, what do you need to do?
- Please apply by January 17, 2017. Let an admission office representative know of your intention to apply via Early Decision.
- In order to for us to review your child's application and release decisions on February 14, 2017, we ask that all portions of the application be submitted by the January 17 deadline and the SSAT be taken by January 7.
- Early Decision candidates receive priority in the admission process. Qualified Early Decision applicants account for 55-60% of all available openings each year.
- The deadline for contracts and deposits for students admitted through the Early Decision program is February 24, 2017.
Again, Early Decision is meant for students for whom Whitfield is the first choice school. Ninth grade applicants need not apply Early Decision. To be consistent with other area secondary schools, all 9th grade applicants will be notified on February 3, 2017 if applications are complete by the December 16 deadline.
While these are the required steps for admission, we also recommend that you and your student visit campus on one of our Admission Visit Days.
You may schedule your Family Interview by calling the Admission Office at (314) 415-1259.
Families often ask which of these steps should be completed first. We leave that decision to you, asking only that you complete each step prior to our January 17, 2017 application deadline (December 16, 2016 deadline for ninth grade applicants).
Whitfield strives to create a school community that reflects the diversity of the St. Louis metropolitan area. The school seeks to maintain a student body balanced by gender and diverse in geographic, economic, ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, disability or gender in administering its academic policies, admission policies, athletic policies, financial aid program, or other school activities.