Listed below are the required steps in Whitfield's admission process for families considering admission for Fall 2018. You are welcome to call us at (314) 415-1259 to talk about the admission process or you may explore your options online. In either case, we look forward to getting to know your family during the coming admission season.
Your family interview, which will include your student and you, will take approximately 45 minutes. As a family, you will talk with one of our admission associates. Then, both you and your student will have a chance to talk with the same associate individually.
Families often are curious about the interview. Our goal is to get to know both your student and you. What are your student's interests in and out of class? How does your student spend free time? What are you looking for in a secondary school for your student? With dynamic classrooms that rely heavily on interpersonal relationships, we are looking for students whom we believe will thrive in that environment. We work with students every day and we know that there are a wide array of personalities. We carefully consider our observations in concert with the school records to create a complete picture of your student.
We meet with families Monday through Friday, with appointments both during and after school to accommodate your schedule. We welcome visitors all year, but the majority of appointments for those interested in Fall 2018 admission will occur between mid-October 2017 and mid-January 2018. Interviews for Fall 2018 admission will begin on October 9, 2017.
It is preferred but not required to submit an application prior to your family interview.
We ask that your child take the SSAT once and submit the results to Whitfield (#8196).
The SSAT is offered in St. Louis a number of times each year; we encourage you to choose the most convenient test date and site.
Whitfield is hosting the SSAT on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
Candidates for Fall 2018 admission should complete their SSAT testing by January 6, 2018 whenever possible.
Please visit our SSAT and Admission Decisions page for more detailed information about how we review applications, the role testing plays in those decisions.
Please download an application (PDF) or apply online using the Standard Application Online (SAO), an application accepted by many Independent Schools of St Louis (ISSL) member schools. To apply online, please use the ISSL SAO button below, which will take you to the ISSL instruction page for the SAO, or click here.
Please complete your application by January 16, 2018. While the overwhelming majority of our applicants apply by January 16, we welcome applications after this date. To be consistent with Independent Schools of St. Louis common application deadlines, we request that 9th grade applicants submit their application by December 15, 2017.
A complete Whitfield application includes:
- A copy of a completed application
- $50 application fee, payable online with the online application or by check.
- Records from your child's current school. For those submitting a paper application, complete the School Record and Transcript Release Form and give these to the appropriate person at your child's current school. The school will forward records at the conclusion of the first semester or trimester. Those submitting an online application can email the request to the appropriate person at your child's current school through the online application or print and deliver the forms. Those delivering paper copies of the forms should also provide envelopes addressed to Emily Chrysler, Director of Admission, Whitfield School, 175 South Mason Road, St. Louis, MO 63141.
- Teacher recommendation. For those submitting a paper application, please complete the top portion of one or all of the teacher recommendation forms and give the form(s) to your child's classroom teacher(s); this single link includes multiple versions of the teacher recommendation form (math, English, principal/counselor and "any teacher"). The teacher will return the recommendation directly to us. Those applying online can email the request to the teacher through the SAO or provide a paper copy of the request. Please note that we require only one teacher recommendation as long as it is from an academic subject classroom teacher, although we welcome multiple recommendations if students wish to request them from multiple teachers. Teachers completing these forms by mail may use any of the versions of the recommendation form in the link above, depending on which makes the most sense for the subjects they teach. It is particularly helpful to receive a recommendation from a math teacher when possible.
- One personal reference. We are looking for someone who knows your child well outside of the school environment to talk briefly about your child's strengths. Applicants often request personal recommendations from coaches, music teachers, family friends or leaders of religious institutions. Applicants are welcome to use the personal recommendation form provided through the SAO or ask the recommender to submit a letter by email or by mail. Letters should be addressed to Emily Chrysler, Director of Admission, Whitfield School, 175 South Mason Road, St. Louis, MO 63141.
More than 15 years ago, Whitfield created its Early Decision program as a tool in alleviating some of the pressure families may feel during the secondary school admission process. Early Decision is a terrific option for families who have thoughtfully researched their secondary school options and know that Whitfield is the first choice for their child.
If Whitfield the first choice for your child, what do you need to do?
- Please apply by January 16, 2018. Let an admission office representative know of your intention to apply via Early Decision.
- In order to for us to review your child's application and release decisions around February 14, 2018, we ask that all portions of the application be submitted by the January 16 deadline and the SSAT be taken by January 6.
- The deadline for contracts and deposits for students admitted through the Early Decision program is February 23, 2018.
Again, Early Decision is meant for students for whom Whitfield is the first choice school. Ninth grade applicants need not apply Early Decision. To be consistent with other area secondary schools, all 9th grade applicants will be notified on February 2, 2018 if applications are complete by the December 15 deadline.
While these are the required steps for admission, we also recommend that you and your student visit campus on one of our Admission Visit Days.
You may schedule your Family Interview by calling the Admission Office at (314) 415-1259.
Families often ask which of these steps should be completed first. Although not required, it is beneficial to receive your application portion of the process before your family interview. The only requirement is that you complete each step prior to our January 16, 2018 application deadline (December 15, 2017 deadline for ninth grade applicants).
Whitfield strives to create a school community that reflects the diversity of the St. Louis metropolitan area. The school seeks to maintain a student body balanced by gender and diverse in geographic, economic, ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, disability or gender in administering its academic policies, admission policies, athletic policies, financial aid program, or other school activities.