As members of the Whitfield School community, we believe in sustaining and promoting a high level of personal honor and integrity. We are committed to academic excellence and social responsibility and to demonstrating respect, honesty and scholarship. As individuals, we assume the responsibility to preserve the ethical, academic and moral values of the community. The success of this Honor Code depends upon trustworthy behavior on the part of all involved.
- We believe in the importance of both moral character (being kind and doing the right thing) and performance character (valuing hard work and doing one’s best).
- We believe in the primary importance of self-respect, self-esteem and self-confidence.
- We believe that these attributes are actively built by the sum of our choices.
- We believe in making good choices, not just for praise, but because of the values behind those choices and because our character is the sum of our choices.
- We believe in taking on challenges, recognizing that a challenge might initially lead to success or failure, and that perseverance and making adjustments is a foundational element of good character.
- We believe that in evaluating and making good choices, we must recognize the effects of our decisions over time and in how they affect others and the community.
- We believe in accepting responsibility for all of our choices.
- We believe in accepting consequences of these choices.
- We believe in the power of communicating with others about our choices and in seeking help when needed.
- We believe in the importance of making adjustments for future choices.
- We believe in shared responsibility: all members of the community are equally responsible for upholding the values of the community.
- We believe in accepting responsibility for modeling good decision-making that upholds the values of our community.
- We believe in respect and empathy for others and their choices, and we expect and value differences.
- We believe in genuinely praising others for their efforts and for their good choices.
- We believe in our responsibility to engage each other in respectful conversation about our choices in the context of the long term and the larger community and our values.
- We believe in our responsibility to create a safe, open, and receptive environment in order to more effectively communicate with each other about our choices.